What is a sneckdown?
A sneckdown (snowy+neckdown), is when snow extends the curb. A natural form of traffic calming, sneckdowns show where road space isn’t being utilized and could be repurposed to calm traffic, shorten pedestrian crossing distances, or add bicycle infrastructure (wikipedia).
- Urban Glossary: Sneckdowns, from Torontoist
- How Snowstorms Reveal the Wasted Space on Our Roads, from Gizmodo
- The Complete Origin of the Sneckdown, from Streetfilms
- Sneckdowns: Taking the World by Storm, from Streetsblog, Jan 2014
- What the heck is a sneckdown, and what can it teach us about our cities?, including comments by yours truly in Metro, Dec 2014